Solar Energy Facts
Solar energy refers to energy that comes from the sun and has been used by humans for a long time for things like heating, cooking food, removing salt from seawater and things like drying clothes.
As the world looks for new energy sources, solar energy is becoming far more important. Read more to know all about solar energy.
How is Solar Energy Created?
- Heat from the sun is captured and used as solar energy.
- To make this happen, some technology is used in order to use of that amazing energy.
- Solar energy is taken from the sun’s rays as they hit the Earth.
- Solar energy is used to make electricity and other forms of energy. Pretty cool what we can do with the sun!
- Solar cells can use sunlight directly to make electricity.
Why is Solar Energy Important?
Solar energy is really important as it does not affect the environment and it doesn’t add to pollution like some forms of energy do.
It can sometimes be difficult to get solar energy if a certain area doesn’t get enough sunlight.
Solar energy is the most abundant form of energy found on Earth as it is found wherever the sun is!
Even though there is lots of solar energy available, it is difficult and expensive to make into a form of energy that can be used by people.
What is Passive Solar Energy?
Passive solar energy does not require any machinery because solar energy is used directly.
What is Active Solar Energy?
With active solar energy, a device is needed that collects solar energy so that it may be pumped into an area.
Interesting Facts about Solar Energy
- Thermal energy from the sun was first used by the British astronomer John Herschel. He used a thermal box to cook food. That’s cool! Imagine cooking on a thermal box?
- When people want to heat things like swimming pools, the energy from the sun, solar energy, is changed into thermal energy.
- There is enough solar energy created by the Sun to be able to fulfil all of our electrical needs on Earth without the use of any other form of energy. That’s amazing!
- Want to know where the world’s largest solar energy plant is? Well, it’s in none other than the United States in the sunny state of California!
- This is a pretty neat fact. Since the 1950’s, space shuttles have used solar energy to power their space craft. No way!
- Did you know that it takes less than 10 minutes for the light of the Sun to reach the Earth? That is seriously quick!
- Now you know all about solar energy how about using some of this information for a school project and show off your solar energy knowledge!