Venezuela is located on the continent of South America. It shares a border with Colombia to the west, Guyana to the East, Brazil to the south, and the Caribbean Sea to the North.
Venezuela has a population of almost 32 million people.
The worlds tallest waterfall, Angel Falls, is found in Venezuela, sitting at a height of 3000 feet tall. You might recognize Paradise Falls as the Angel Falls waterfall from the film Up, in which Mr. Fredrickson and Russel travel to the waterfall in their house with balloons coming out of the chimney.
The Merida Cable Car is the world’s longest and highest cable car sitting at 12km (7.5 miles) long, and 15,600 feet in the sky.
The route takes in views of the city of Merida and El Gigante Dormido (The sleeping giant) which is a mountain that resembles this shape.
Los Roques National Park is a chain of islands that are home to sun drenched beaches, coral reefs and tourists. People flock to the area as it is laid back and the perfect place to escape.
Many tourists come to swim, sail, fish, snorkel and scuba dive in the beautiful clear waters.
Venezuela makes its money from petroleum, which accounts for approximately 80% of the exports. Venezuela citizens can get the cheapest petrol in the world due to major quantities of petroleum in the country.
Other exports include steel, cement, aluminum, chemicals and food products.
Venezuela is home to a wide range of animals. Spectacled bears are the only bears that can be found on the South American continent.
Tapirs are large herbivorous animals that look like a pig but have a short nose. The bush dog is a small and sturdy dog with webbed feet.
Other interesting facts:
Women from Venezuela have won Miss Universe six times and Miss World five times.
93% of the population are Roman Catholic.
The Red Devils of Yare festival is held each year where citizens dress as red devils and battle on Corpus Christi Day. The battle is always lost by the devils, representing Christianity’s win over Satan and his evil ways.
At Christmas time, Venezuelans often set up large nativity scene in the front gardens, celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ.
- What country lies South of Venezuela?
- How many people live in Venezuela?
- What height is Angel Falls?
- How long is the Merida Cable Car?
- What product makes up 80% of the economy?
- Which species of bear is the only type of bear that can be found in Venezuela throughout the whole of South America?
- What is a bush dog?
- How many bird species can be found in Venezuela?
- What international competition do Venezuelan women often win?
- What % of the country is Catholic?
- Approximately 32 million people
- 3000 feet
- 12 km (7.5 miles) long
- Speckled Bear
- A small and sturdy dog with webbed feet
- 1400 different species of birds
- Miss Universe and Miss World