Nicaragua has approximately 6.2 million people living within the country. This is roughly the same size as the population of US State, Missouri.
Nicaragua is a very poor country in Central America. Almost 80% of the population live on less than US$2 per day.
Crops are the main exports of the country, with the main crops being coffee, tobacco, sugar cane and bananas earning the country almost US$300 million each year.
Cerro Mogoton is home to Nicaragua’s highest peak at 6913 feet. It is filled with forests and is one of the wettest areas in Nicaragua.
Strangely, this route was once covered in landmines to stop illegal entry from Honduras but is now one of the largest tourist destinations in the country.
The City of Leon is one of the oldest cities in Nicaragua. It was moved location due to a volcanic eruption that damaged the city in 1610.
Leon is home to the National Autonomous University and Cathedral of the Assumption, among other beautiful Spanish Colonial architecture.
Corn Islands is a huge tourist destination which has warm crystal water, sandy beaches, caves and coves. Diving is a massive attraction with the area of Blowing Rock filled with coral reef and colorful marine life attracting most tourists.
The most popular sport in Nicaragua is baseball. The most popular player from Nicaragua is Dennis Martinez, who was the first player to play in Major League Baseball and who has a stadium named after him.
Kids play throughout their teens, some winning scholarships for USA universities.
Other interesting facts:
Due to the location of Nicaragua, out of a total of 88 constellations found, 86 can be clearly seen in Nicaragua.
Lake Nicaragua, the largest lake in the country, is home to the only freshwater sharks known in the world.
- Which countries border Nicaragua?
- What US state is roughly the same size as Nicaragua?
- Name some crops exported from the country
- What height is Nicaragua’s highest mountain?
- What is the name of the oldest city in Nicaragua?
- What is the name of the area located in the Corn Islands that attracts divers?
- What is the most popular sport in Nicaragua?
- What is Nicaragua known as?
- How many constellations (star patterns) can be seen in the night sky in Nicaragua?
- What unique animal can only be found in Nicaragua?
- Honduras and Costa Rica
- Coffee, tobacco, sugar cane, and bananas
- 6913 feet
- Blowing Rock
- The land of lakes and volcanoes
- Freshwater Sharks
Since you’ve learned a little about what constellations are, why not scroll below to learn all about how stars shine on our blog?