Honduras Facts & Information
Approximately 9,265,000 people live in the country. This is roughly the same number of people who live in New Jersey state.
However, the city struggles with poverty and rising crime rates, resulting in Honduras being one of the poorest countries in Central America.
Copan is a Mayan site with stunning sculptured stone decorations dating back to the 9th Century and attracting 20,000 people to live in the area.
Tourists flock to Mayan ruins to see the Acropolis (carved reliefs), stelae (stone slabs), altars, the ball court and the Hieroglypic Stairway, which is a unique temple.
Utila is one of the best diving locations in Honduras, located in the Caribbean Sea.
It is a popular tourist destination and not only attracts divers, but also hikers, swimmers, snorkelers, stand up paddle boarders, as well as kayakers and explorers climbing the nearby Pumpkin Hill, which has excellent views.
It makes up one of the three famous Bay Islands, the other two named as Roatan and Guanaja, all located off the northern coast of Honduras.
Surrounding the three islands is the world’s second largest barrier reef.
Baleadas is a traditional Honduran dish. It is made from a flour tortilla filled with cheese, avocados, eggs, beef and beans.
Horchata is a famous Honduran drink made of rice, water, cinnamon, sugar, vanilla and milk.
Ceviche De Corvina is a fish dish marinated with citrus fruit, coconut milk and onion. It is not cooked, just marinated.
Other interesting facts:
Hurricane Mitch, 1998, was one of the biggest and second deadliest hurricanes to hit Central America. Crops of bananas and 80% of the rice harvest were destroyed, and 11,000 people lost their lives.
The 10th of September is known as Dia Del Nino (Children’s Day). All children receive presents and have parties, celebrating like it’s their birthdays.
The reason for this festival is to highlight the importance of youth and celebrate childhood.
Honduras exports many goods. It ships coffee, sugar, clothes, gold, silver, wood products and cigars throughout the world.
- Which countries border Honduras?
- What is the name of the US State that has roughly the same population as Honduras?
- What is the name of Honduras capital?
- What is the Mayan tourist attraction?
- What is the name of the largest natural lake in Honduras?
- Name the three islands that make up the Bay Islands.
- What is the famous drink made of rice, water, cinnamon, sugar, vanilla and milk?
- What year did Hurricane Mitch hit Honduras?
- What date is Dia Del Nino?
- Name two items that Honduras ships around the world.
- Nicaragua, Guatemala and El Salvador
- New Jersey
- Lago de Yojoa
- Utila, Roatan and Guanaja
- 10th September
- Coffee, sugar, clothes, gold, silver, wood products or cigars